Special thank you to Milk Street Baby and Bellini for sponsoring this post – “Nursery Safety Tips”
There are so many things to do before your baby’s arrival. I know it can be a stressful time for new parents. Creating a safe haven for your baby should at the top of every parent’s to-do list. A healthy sleep space is important because you’ll be spending so much time there. Here are a few nursery safety tips to create a safe environment for your little one. It’ll give you the peace of mind you’ll want as a new parent!
Nursery Safety Tips Every Mom Needs to Know
- Keep drapery and blind cords out of baby’s reach from the crib and changing table. It can be a strangulation hazard. Tie them and keep them secure.
- Install a working smoke detector in or near your child’s bedroom.
- Make sure that window guards and screens are secured.
- Never place a crib, playpen, or other children’s furniture near a window or space heater.
- Put plug protectors in unused electrical outlets.
- Make sure your child’s toy box is low to the ground and doesn’t have a heavy hinge. If you use a book shelf or tall storage shelf, make sure they are secured to the wall.
The Changing Table
- Use a safety belt on the changing table.
- Keep baby powder and other supplies out of baby’s reach when changing. I like an organization system that keeps everything in one place for convenience.
- Never leave a child unattended on a changing table.
- Put carpet or a nonskid rug beneath the crib and changing table.
The Crib Space
- Remove toys, pillows, and stuffed animals from the crib before bedtime.
- Consider removing all crib gyms, hanging toys, and decorations from the crib by the time baby can get up on his hands and knees.
- Fit the crib mattress snugly, without any gaps, so baby can’t slip in between the crack and the crib side.
- Make sure that all screws, bolts, and hardware — including mattress supports — are tightened.
- Make sure the night-light is out of reach and not touching any fabric.
- To reduce the risk of SIDS, put baby to sleep on their back in a crib with a firm, flat mattress.
Purchasing the Right Crib
Purchasing the right crib is a crucial step to creating a safe baby environment. Milk Street Baby holds themselves to the highest standards and they go the extra mile. Milk Street furniture prides themselves on their beautiful finishes, but more importantly, they offer finishes tested above and beyond the required government standards. They surpass many required coating certifications. No two Milk Street cribs are exactly the same because the solid-wood veneers are hand-picked, but each crib goes through the same rigorous testing.
Not many consumers understand that finishes are created in layers. Each layer of finish is tested, independently, to measure wet coat materials; heavy metals and phthalates. Milk street finishes have up to 8 layers and you’ll find 8 test reports to verify your crib will be part of a safe environment.
Shop With The Experts
Creating the safe haven for your baby starts with what you purchase. If you can find Milk Street Baby at boutiques nationwide, including Bellini Baby and Teen Furniture of Atlanta. They specialize in customer service to help you find the perfect pieces for your nursery. What I love most about Bellini is their white-glove customer service they offer. They will build or install everything you purchase from their boutique – ensuring everything is correctly pieced together. Together, Bellini and Milk Street Baby, care about your baby and helping parents.
Follow Milk Street on social media:
You May Also Like: Top 10 Sippy Cups on Amazon